Since its opening in 1872, the New Synagogue was often marked on Breslau city maps with an icon or a color reserved for prominent and recognizable landmarks. However, in the 1939 city plan, the New Synagogue is no longer present. All that was left of the building, demolished a year earlier by the Nazis during the November Pogrom, was an empty lot. A monument marking the site of the former New Synagogue and commemorating the destruction of the city’s Jewish community appeared in 1998 after 32 years of efforts initiated by a Breslau-born Jew, Henry Kamm, who managed to leave Germany with his mother in 1941.
Sign. 82/172/0/5.4/IV.691.